[please contact Ross Beattie for further details of this vessel, or if you have any additional information or corrections]
This Page was Last Updated on 2nd July 2002
see also Runnymede II, Ship; 720t.; c1856
see also Runnymede, Barque; 284t.;
- Description: Barque
- Tonnage: 389
- Home Port:
- Master(s): Andrew McTaggart (1841)
- Surgeon Supt(s):
There were two Runnymedes which ran to Australia as convict transports.
Built in London in 1825, the 389 ton A1 barque
Runnymede I in 1839-40 ran from London to HobartTown in
99 days, equalling the runs of the Morley (1820), Countess
of Harcourt (1821) and for convict transports second only
to the Sarah (1837), which had arrived in 97 days. The
Runnymede sailed from London on 20 December 1839,
her master W B Forward and surgeon Peter Fisher in charge of 200
male prisoners (boy convicts), all of whom were landed safely.
She arrived in HobartTown on 28 March 1840. The British
Sovereign set a new record with a 92 day passage in 1840-41.
On 25 April 1841 the Runnymede departed London with 222
assisted emigrants, sponsored by Mr John Marshall. Her master
was Andrew McTaggart and surgeon John Dunne. After a voyage of
127 days she reached Port Jackson on 30 August 1841. One of 200
Roman Catholics on board was Catherine Fairlie, 18, an unmarried
house servant from Co Cavan IRL, who later (August 1847) married
John Humphries in Sydney to whom she bore some ten children, mostly
in the Narrabri - Gunnedah region on NSW. On the voyage Catherine
was under the protection of James Flynn whose accompanying wife
Betsy, 18, was able to
milk and make butter.
Schooling on board attracted 64-100 adults and children. A Margaret Flynn assisted in the ships hospital. Illnesses included the usual diarrhoea, incipient fever and slight infection of the lungs. One infant died en route. Of conditions aboard, Dunne wrote in his Surgeons Journal:
- What regulations for the preservation of
health and cleanliness:
All emigrants who were not complaining, out of their berths at
7.00 am, when the weather would permit after breakfast male and
female appointments cleaned out thoroughly and water clostes
What occupations and amusements:
Amusing and instruction books put on board by Mr. Marshall distributed amongst them dancing on the main deck after 6 oclock weather permitting at 9.00 pm all females below and doors locked.
- Joy McLoughlin (2 June 2002) wrote
- Another passenger who arrived on The Runnymede in Port Jackson 30th August 1841 was Mary MacGowran/McGovern
[a free settler]
under the care of Mr and Mrs Huntley. On 25th September 1842 she married Edward Mitchell at the Roman Catholic church Mulgoa, and went on to bear 5 children. She died 12th January 1895 and was buried 14th January in Lower Mittagong NSW.
Edward Mitchell (Co Rosscommon) was conscripted, deserted, and sentenced to 14 years transportation. He arrived on the Eliza 5 in 1829. He was assigned to a John Wylde and got his Ticket of Leave in 1838.
The Runnymede was wrecked near the Andaman Islands in the Bay of Bengal during 1844.
Built in Sunderland
in 1854, the 720 ton ship Runnymede II embarked 248 male convicts at Plymouth on 15 June 1856, landing all in Western Australia on 7 September, after a passage of 84 days mastered by William Burrows.
A 284 ton barque
Runneymede of Hobart was wrecked at Frenchman's Bay, Dampierland, during a hurricane on 24 December 1878.
you have any queries about this vessel, or information to add,
Ross Beattie ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
[check here for further contact details]
You are Visitor Number since 2nd July 2002