Parish of Kilskeery
(Cill Sgire, known pre-700 as Aghnalarge)
western Tyrone, Northern Ireland
54° 26'N 7° 32'W, altitude 329m (1079')
Kilskeery Bridge, Kilskeery Glebe

County : Tyrone; Civil Parish : Kilskeery;
Poor Law Union : Enniskillen; Barony : Omagh East
[contact Ross Beattie]
  Resources:                                          - with permission     - on request only
    General Notes & list of townlands 
    Ward, J.R., c1834, Parish of Kilskeery, in Ordnance Survey of County Tyrone
    Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland1844
    Lewis, Samuel, 1849, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 2nd. ed. 
    McCaughey, Michael, 1990, Around Trillick Way, Ch7; Apndx A, B
McCaughey, Michael, 1992, Come Listen a While, pp 23-28
    Mitchell, 1990, Irish Churches and Graveyards 
    Clogher Record, Graveyard Transcriptions — Kilskeery Parish [RC Cemetery]
    Townland acreages;
Notes on Some Townlands
    Guide to Church Records – An Irish Genealogical Source, pp164-5

General Notes:


[Ward, J.R., c1834, Parish of Kilskeery, in Ordnance Survey of County Tyrone, pp. ]:
Parish of Kilskeery, County Tyrone
Memoir by J.R. Ward


The only high ground in the parish of Kilskeery is a ridge along the south eastern boundary, which is little more than the finishing belt of a mass of mountains whose tops and principal features are in the adjoining county of Fermanagh. The rest of the parish is an irregular surface of low but occasionally steep gravel and sand hills. The average height of the south eastern ridge above mentioned is between 800 and 1,000 feet above the sea level [insert query: 1,000 feet].
There are 2 small lakes in the parish (viz.) Relagh lough and Maghera lough. The first occupies portions of the townlands of Makenny and Relagh-Guinness. It is 200 feet above the sea, 8 acres 2 roods 16 perches in extent and is said to be from 2 to 20 feet deep. The second occupies portions of 3 townlands (viz.) Magheralough, Corlea and Drumash. It is 340 feet above the sea, 16 acres 1 rood in extent and from 10 to 40 feet deep. These lakes are well stocked with pike, trout and perch, and the Maghera lough is used as a mill dam.
Kilskeery river flows through the centre of the parish in a south west direction; its breadth varies from 15 to 40 feet. It rises in the adjacent parish of Dromore and is useful for drainage and water power. There are no considerable falls or rapids on it. The average fall is 25 feet in a mile. It is not subject to any destructive floods. It impedes communication. The bed is varied, being in some parts rocky and in others of a gravelly nature. The banks are well cultivated but the scenery is uninteresting. This river forms part of the parish and county boundaries for 1 mile.
There are also a great number of smaller streams, some of which are used for turning mill wheels and all are useful for draining. There are no mineral or hot wells in the parish. Good spring water is not abundant.
Small patches of bog occur in almost every townland. They are from 200 to 400 feet above the sea. Timber is found indiscriminately scattered through them. Oak, fir and birch are most common. The first is generally in good preservation and the peasants use it in building their cabins. The depth of these bogs is from 4 to 10 feet.
No natural woods in the parish.


The principal crops are oats, barley, flax and potatoes. The two first are sown in May and cut in September. Flax is sown in April and May and pulled in August. Potatoes are set in April and May and dug in October and November. Very little wheat is cultivated in the parish. The time for sowing is December and reaping in August and September.


Town of Trillick
Trillick, situated in the east of the parish 82 Irish miles from Dublin, is in the diocese of Clogher, and the main road between Fintona and Enniskillen passes through it. The town is composed of one street a quarter of a mile in length. Its situation offers nothing remarkable for picturesque beauty.
Present State as to Buildings
The public buildings in the town are a Wesleyan Methodist meeting house, a Church Methodist meeting house and a court house. The first meeting house is a plain rectangular building 45 feet long and 25 feet broad. It was built in 1831. The expense, 150 pounds, was defrayed by public subscription. It will accommodate 200 persons, the general attendance is 100.
The second meeting house is at present building. It is 30 feet long and 20 broad, the cost, which is to be made by subscriptions from the public, will be 150 pounds and it is to accommodate 150 persons.
The court house is a plain plastered <plaistered> building 30 feet long and 20 feet broad. There is a market place underneath it. There are 2 good inns in the town, and a house at the south west end is occupied by the police.
There are 50 houses of 1-storey, 26 of 2 and 4 of 3-storeys. They are all built of stone and some few roughcast and whitewashed. 25 are slated and the remainder thatched. They have mostly a dirty appearance.


Local Government
Petty <petit> sessions are held in the town once in each fortnight. Quarter sessions are held in Omagh, 14 Irish miles distant. The greater part of the inhabitants are employed as labourers, the remainder in retail dealing.
Markets are held on every Tuesday and fairs on the 14th of each month. The traffic, which is much the same for both, is good for the size of the town. It principally consists of cattle, pigs, sheep and horses. Grain, butter and soft goods are not sold to a great extent. Tolls are paid to the landlord. General Mervyn Archdall.
There are 2 public conveyances through the town. They are named the Rover and the Tallyho. The first is a species of caravan and the second a double outside jaunting car. They are each drawn by 2 horses. These cars leave Omagh every morning at 5.30, arrive at Trillick at 9, proceed on to Enniskillen, and on their return arrive at Trillick at [sic] 5 a.m.
The parish dispensary is in the town.
Trades and Callings
A list of trades [table]: apothecary 1, grocers 6, general dealers 1, innkeeper 2, tanner 1, chandler 1, leather cutters 2, spirit shops 5, cooper 1, butcher 1, carpenter 1, smiths 2, nailers 2, tailor 1, shoemaker 1, reed maker 1.


Public Buildings
Besides those mentioned in the town, there is an Episcopalian church and a Roman Catholic chapel. The church, situated in Kilskeery Glebe, is a neat plastered building with a square tower and freestone spire. The body of the church is 90 feet long and 30 feet broad. It is neatly fitted up inside with pews and a gallery and will accommodate 500 persons; the average attendance on each sabbath is from 400 to 700 persons. It was erected in 1772. The expense was defrayed by the incumbent of that period, the Reverend Archdeacon Hastings, but the amount is not known.
The chapel, situated in Stranacummer townland, is a plain plastered building 90 feet long and 36 feet broad. [Insert note: The priest promised further information but neglected to give it].

Gentlemen's Seats
The Glebe House, situated in Kilskeery Glebe, is the residence of the Reverend Thomas Porter, rector of the parish. It was built in 1774.
Relagh, the seat of Counsellor James Story, is a small neat double cottage situated in the townland of Relagh.
In Castle Mervyn demesne there is a shooting box of General Mervyn Archdall's.
Bleach Greens, Manufactories and Mills
There are no bleach greens or manufactories. There is a tannery in Trillick. A table of mills
[contains the following headings: name of townland where situated, nature of the mill, dimensions and nature of wheel].
Scallen, corn mill, 13 feet diameter, 1 foot 9 inches breadth, undershot wheel.
Tullyincrin, corn mill, diameter 12 feet, breadth 1 foot 9 inches, undershot wheel.
Shanmullagh East, corn mill, diameter 12 feet, breadth 1 foot 8 inches, undershot wheel.
Corlea, corn mill, diameter 12 feet, breadth 1 foot 8 inches, breast wheel.
Drumsonus, corn mill, diameter 13 feet, breadth 1 foot 6 inches, breast wheel.
Corkragh, corn mill, diameter 12 feet, breadth 2 feet, breast wheel.
Cordromedy, corn mill, diameter 10 feet 6 inches, breadth 1 foot 6 inches, undershot wheel.
Carannamaragh, corn mill, diameter 13 feet, breadth 1 foot 4 inches, breast wheel.
The main road between Fintona and Enniskillen (passing through Trillick) traverses the parish south west for 6 and a half miles. The average breadth is 30 feet. It is very well laid out and kept in good repair. Another road branches from this, crossing the river by means of Kilskeery bridge, traversing north west and is the line of communication between Trillick and Irvinestown. There are 2 and a half miles from its junction (with the above road) to the parish boundary and it is greatly in want of repair. The average breadth is 26 feet.
The road between Trillick and Fivemiletown, traversing south east from the first, is very hilly and in great want of repair. There are 3 miles in the parish and the average breadth is 26 feet.
A road traversing the parish south from Trillick to Tempo (county Fermanagh) is very hilly and in bad repair. There are 3 miles in the parish and the breadth is 26 feet.
There are besides a good supply of by-roads in tolerably good repair.
Kilskeery bridge crosses the Kilskeery river about 300 yards west of the church. It has 2 arches, is 40 feet long and 25 feet broad and is in good repair.
General Appearance and Scenery
This parish has very little to expatiate upon in point general appearance. Scenery there is none; looking down from the high ridge of ground along the south east boundary, the parish presents an regular bumpy surface, divided nearly across the centre from north to south by a rather conspicuous stream with occasional craggy banks. There is a general aspect of fertility. but very little wood except about the Glebe House and Relagh Cottage.


Early Improvements and Obstructions to Improvement
The greatest obstruction to improvement is the want of leases. The farmers in general complain of having to pay higher rents according to the improvements they make.
Local Government
There are 4 magistrates residing in the parish (none of them stipendiary). Their names and residences re James Story Esquire, Relagh, the Reverend 'Thomas Porter, Kilskeery Glebe, the Reverend Arthur Irwin, [blank] and Robert Atthill Esquire, dispensary surgeon, Trillick. [Insert footnote: Mr Atthill has, since the above was written, resigned his commission of the peace, February 1836 [initialled [?] JRW]. They are firm and respected by the people. The constabulary force is a sergeant and 3 men stationed in Trillick, in which town Petty <pettit> sessions are held once each fortnight; 2 or 3 magistrates are generally in attendance [queried]. Outrages are decreasing. Illicit distilling is not carried on. Insurances are not common.
The dispensary in Trillick has been of great service to the poor of the parish and diseases are diminishing. The surgeon would not give me any information regarding the number of diseases. [Signed] J.R. Ward.
Table of Schools
[Table contains the following headings: name of townland where situated, religion and sex of pupils, remarks as to how supported, when established].
Makenny, 24 Protestants, 6 Catholics, 16 males, 14 females, 30 total; the pupils pay from 1s to 3s per quarter, 1828.
Kilskeery Glebe, 20 Protestants, 18 males, 2 females, 20 total; supported by the Society for Discountenancing Vice, 1815.
Relagh, 58 Protestants, 17 Catholics, 59 males, 16 females, 75 total; Samuel Story Esquire, Relagh, gives 10 pounds per annum and the pupils pay from 1s to 3s per quarter, 1820.
Crossan, 5 Protestants, 5 females, 5 total; the pupils pay from 1s to 2s per quarter, 1819.
Scallen, 40 Protestants, 40 Catholics, 40 males, 40 females, 80 total; supported by the Hibernian Society, 5 pounds salary for mistress, date not known.
Keenogue, 36 Protestants, 45 Catholics, 54 males, 27 females, 81 total; supported by the pupils at the usual rate, date not known.
Ballyard, 28 Protestants, 8 Catholics, 32 males, 4 females, 36 total; the pupils pay from 1 s to 4s per quarter, 1832.
Killyblunick Glebe, 8 Protestants, 42 Catholics, 38 males, 12 females, 50 total; the Reverend Thomas Porter, rector of the parish, gives the schoolhouse free of rent and the pupils pay from 1s to 3s per quarter, date not known.
No provision made for the poor.
The Roman Catholic persuasion bears a proportion of 3 and a half to 1 to the Protestants and Protestant Dissenters. The clergy of the Church of England are supported by tithes and glebe lands which are very considerable: the tithe is about 800 pounds per annum. Among the Dissenters, the Methodists (of which there are 2 sects, Wesleyan and Church) are the most prevailing. They have no regular preachers but are attended by strollers whose salary is from 14 pounds to 16 pounds per annum, besides which they receive coals and candles, and are seldom put to any expense in travelling as they generally board themselves and horses with the richest of their several congregations. Those who are married receive 10 pounds extra per annum and 5 pounds for each child. The loudest preachers are most preferred, The Catholic priests are supported by contributions from the congregation, (the amount, I could not ascertain [initialled] J.R. Ward).
Habits of the People
The cottages of the peasantry are built of stone and thatched. They have glass windows and in general consist of but 1-storey, which is usually divided into 2 apartments. Very little attention is paid to comfort or cleanliness either in the habitations or persons of the families. Their food consists of potatoes or oaten bread, and sometimes meat and broth. Their dress is varied. There are no remarkable instances of longevity. Early marriages, that is, from 18 to 25 years old, are common among the Roman Catholics. It is said their priests encourage them. The usual number in each family is 5 or 6. They have very little amusement or recreation except attending the fairs in the neighbouring towns.
Emigration prevails to a small extent, chiefly to Lower Canada. Some families have lately left the parish for New South Wales and several others have it in contemplation to follow them. A few young men go over to England and Scotland for employment during the harvest.

[Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1844]:
[per Randell Summerville, Mermaid Beach, Queensland, Australia (1998)]
KILSKEERY, or KILSKERRY, a parish in the south-west corner of the barony of Omagh, and of the county of Tyrone, Ulster. It contains the town of TRILLICK : which see. Length, west-north-westward, 7 miles ; breadth, 4 ; area, 20,438 acres 3 roods, 27 perches,—of which 30 acres are water. Pop., in 1831, 8,789 ; in 1841, 9,352. Houses 1,598. A tiny district of Magheracross, belonging to co, Fermanagh, lies isolated a little south of the centre. The water-area consists of the two small lakes of Relagh, both situated in the south. The only demesne is Relagh, the property of J. H. Storey, Esq. The parochial surface contains no prime land, consists for the most part of decidedly inferior land, and comprises a considerable aggregate of heathy mountain. The roads from Enniskillen to Fintona and Omagh pass through the interior. Archdall says that a monastery of the name of Kilskeery was founded in 749. —This parish is a rectory, and a prebend, and a separate benefice, in the dio. of Clogher. Tithe composition, £675 9s. 4d. ; glebe, £380. Gross income, £1,055 9s. 4d. ; nett, £896 7s. 1d. Patron, the diocesan. The incumbent holds also the benefice of Donaghmore in the dio. of Clogher. A curate has a salary of £82 8s. The church was built at the private expense and during the incumbency of Archdeacon Hastings. Sitting 700 ; attendance 450. The Methodist chapel has an attendance of 100. The Roman Catholic chapel has an attendance of 2,450. In 1834, the parishioners consisted of 3,804 Churchmen, 53 Presbyterians, and 5,306 Roman Catholics ; 6 Sunday schools were usually attended by about 639 children ; and 15 daily schools—one of which was salaried with £10 from subscription, one with £2 from subscription and £8 from the Society for Discountenancing Vice, and one with a gratuity from the London Hibernian Society—had on their books 505 boys and 250 girls. In 1839, the National Board granted £74 3s. 4d. toward the erection of a school at Darlea ; and, in 1840, they had two schools at respectively Feglish and Crossan, jointly attended by 84 boys and 33 girls. In 1841, the Kilskeery Loan Fund had a capital of £152, circulated £440 in 122 loans, and realized a nett profit of 18s.

TRILLICK, a village in the parish of Kilskeery, barony of Omagh, co. Tyrone, Ulster. It stands on the southwest border of the county, and on the road from Omagh to Enniskillen, 4 miles south of Dromore, 5 east by south of Lowtherstown, and 6¾ southwest of Fintona. It contains two Methodist meeting houses ; and within 1¾ mile of it are Kilskeery church, a Roman Catholic chapel, five schools, Trillick cottage, the ruins of Trillick castle, the lake of Maghera, and the demesne of Relagh. Fairs are held on the 14th of every month. A court of petty sessions is held on the second Monday of every month. A dispensary in the village is within the Lowtherstown Poorlaw union ; and, in 1839-40, it expended £150, and made 3,469 dispensations of medicine. Area of the village, 21 acres. Pop., in 1841, 434. Houses 82. Families employed chiefly in agriculture, 16 ; in manufactures and trade, 50 ; in other pursuits, 19. Families dependent chiefly on property and professions, 5 ; on the directing of labour, 48 ; on their own manual labour, 29 ; on means not specified, 3

[Lewis, Samuel, 1849, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 2nd. ed.]:
KILSKEERY, a parish, in the union of ENNISKILLEN, barony of OMAGH, county of TYRONE, and province of ULSTER, 7 miles (N. by E.) from Enniskillen, on the road to Omagh; containing, with the market-town of Trillick, 9351 inhabitants. This place, during the war of 1641, was attacked by the Irish forces under Sir Phelim O'Nial, whom the inhabitants succeeded in driving back to the mountains; but they suffered severely in a second attack, in which the assailants were successful. Near Corkhill Lodge are the remains of a fortress which was garrisoned by the inhabitants, who resolutely defended the ford of the river, where a handsome bridge was subsequently erected. The army of James II. encamped twice in this parish during his contest with William III., and marched hence against Enniskillen. An interesting work was published by the Rev. Andrew Hamilton, rector of Kilskeery, descriptive of these two wars, in the latter of which he himself took an active and honourable part. The PARISH is six miles long and as many broad, and comprises 20,439 statute acres, of which the surface is boldly undulated, and the soil generally fertile. The system of agriculture is rapidly improving; more than 1000 acres of waste land have been already brought into cultivation, principally under the encouragement of the rector. The principal seats are, Trillick Lodge, the property of Colonel Archdall, near which are the remains of Castle Mervyn, built by a person of the name of Mervyn, from whom Colonel Archdall derives his title to his estate in this county; Relagh; Corkhill Lodge; and Corkhill. Two other seats, almost dilapidated, were formerly the residences of the Barton and Bryan families. There are several mountains in the parish, and several lakes, from which small streams descend to Lough Erne, between which and Lough Foyle it has been in contemplation to form a communication by a canal. There is a small establishment for milling blankets. A manorial court, petty-sessions, and fairs are held at Trillick, which see.

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, constituting the corps of the prebend of Kilskeery in the cathedral of Clogher, in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithe rent-charge is £506.12. The glebe-house, a spacious and handsome residence surrounded by old plantations, was built in 1774 at an expense of £1300, of which £100 were a gift from the Board of First Fruits. The glebe comprises 380 acres of profitable land, valued at £1 per acre; besides which there are 6363/4 acres of mountain glebe, annually in process of being reclaimed, and rising in value. The church, an elegant structure in the early English style, with a square tower surmounted by an octagonal spire, was built in 1790, at an expense of £1060, defrayed by the Rev. Dr. Hastings; the original spire was taken down and the present one erected in 1830, at the expense of the parish. Divine service is also performed by the clergymen of the Establishment in the Wesleyan meeting-house at Trillick, monthly in winter, and once a fortnight in summer. The Roman Catholic parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; the chapel, a spacious building, is at Magheralough. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists at Trillick. A parochial school is supported by the rector and the Association for Discountenancing Vice, and there is a school-house at Magheralough, built by the Rev. A. H. Irvine, curate, on land given by Colonel Perceval; there are several national and other schools, and a dispensary. Here was a monastery in the 7th century, of which no vestiges can be traced.

TRILLICK, a market-town, in the parish of KILSKEERY, union of LOWTHERSTOWN, barony of OMAGH, county of TYRONE, and province of ULSTER, 9 miles (N. by E.) from Enniskillen, on the road to Omagh; containing 434 inhabitants. It owes its origin to the family of Mervyn, who settled at the neighbouring castle of Mervyn in the reign of James I.; and is a small but very improving town, being a convenient stage from Enniskillen, and having an excellent hotel. The surrounding district is undulating and hilly, and is embellished with several lakes: the land in cultivation is generally fertile, and a large tract of waste has lately been reclaimed. Here is a good market-house, recently repaired by the late Gen. Mervyn Archdall, of Trillick Lodge, the proprietor of the town and adjacent lands: a market is held every Tuesday, chiefly for butter and provisions; and there is a fair on the 14th of every month. A receiving-house for letters is in connexion with Enniskillen and Omagh. There is a constabulary police station: petty-sessions are held on alternate Mondays; and courts leet and baron every three weeks, for the recovery of debts under 50s. Here are meeting-houses for Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists, in the former of which also divine service is performed by the clergyman of the Established Church, monthly in winter and once a fortnight in summer. There is likewise a dispensary. The Londonderry and Enniskillen railway passes near the village. No vestiges are discernible of the abbey said to have been founded here in the 7th century; but near the town are the ruins of Castle Mervyn, from which a wide prospect is enjoyed.

Mitchell, 1990, Irish Churches and Graveyards, p ...:


Town or Townland



Killeeshil (TYR)
Kilskeery Glebe
Kilskeery (TYR)
Kilskeery Glebe
EC -


Table of Townland Acreages
[View Kilskeery parish Townland Map per County Tyrone WebSite]

Acreage (and Acreage of Water), Baronies and Poor Law Unions of Townlands of KILSKEERY PARISH:
Ballyard . . . .
Bodoney . . . .
Brackagh . . . .
Cabragh . . . .
Carran 438:3:33 (3:1:04) OE, L .
Castlemervyn Demesne . . . .
Cavanamarra . . . .
Cloncandra Glebe . . . .
Coolback 124:3:34 . OE, L .
Cordromedy 206:1:25 . OE, L .
Corkill 248:2:9 . OE, L .
Corkragh 94:2:8 . OE, L .
Corlea . . . .
Crossan . . . .
Dernagilly . . . .
Derry 631:0:14 . . .
Derryallen 156:0:13 . OE, E .
Derryallen Glebe . . . .
Derrylea . . . .
Derrymacanna . . . .
Doogary . . . .
Dreigh . . . .
Drumardnagross . . . .
Drumash . . . .
Drumbinnion 258:1:0 . OE, L .
Drumdran . . . .
Drumharvey . . . .
Drumsonnus . . . .
Effernan Glebe . . . .
Feglish . . . .
Ferney . . . .
Gargadis 252:0:21 . OE, L .
Garvaghy . . . .
Glasmullagh North . . . .
Glasmullagh South . . . .
Golan Glebe . . . .
Greenan . . . .
Hackincon . . . .
Keenoge . . . .
Kilfuddy . . . .
Kilknock . . . .
Killyblunick Glebe . . . .
Killymendon . . . .
Kilskeery Glebe 165:2:26 . OE, E .
Kinine 316:1:19 . OE, L .
Knocknagor . . . .
Lifford . . . .
Lisdoo . . . .
Lisnahanna 297:2:32 . OE, L .
Loughterush . . . .
Magheralough . . . .
Makenny . . . .
Meeltogues . . . .
Moneygar . . . .
Moorfield . . . .
Mulnagork . . . .
Realtons . . . .
Relagh . . . .
Relagh Guinness . . . .
Rossnareen . . . .
Scallen . . . .
Screeby . . . .
Shanmullagh East . . . .
Shanmullagh West . . . .
Stralongford . . . .
Stranagummer . . . .
Tullynicrin . . . .
Tullywolly . . . .
Townland Acreage Water Barony/PLU Notes
Roscor . . . .
Sheridan . . . .

Notes on Selected Townlands, Kilskeery parish, County Tyrone, Northern Ireland:
[additions and corrections welcome - contact Ross Beattie]

Gargadis, TYR IRL —

Killimittan [also Killimitten, Killymitten, Killymittan], FER IRL —

Kinine (Kanine/Kynine), TYR IRL —

Loughterush, TYR IRL —

Clogher Record, A Note On Two Pastors Of Kilskeery : [per Loree, October 2001]
Names mentioned in the article include: Rev. Benjamin John MacMahon, Rev. Benjamin Marshall, Rev. Charles McKenna and, as an aside, Father B. O'Daly, Fr. Goodman and Fr. Devine.

Rev. Benjamin John MacMahon was a native of Dromore parish, and was listed as "priest of Kilskeery and Maheracross" in September 1786 in the Catholic Qualification Rolls (Nat. Lib. MS 2486) . He became P.P. of Dromore in 1788 and lived with his first cousin, Rev. Benjamin Marshall, Curate in the Church of Ireland.

Rev. Charles McKenna is listed for Kilskeery Parish in Faulkner's Journal of July 1798. He may have been the same Charles McKenna, a Clogher student in the Irish Pastoral College, Louvain, Belgium in the 1780s.

You were Visitor Number Counter since 31st January 2002
This Page was Last Updated on 31st January 2002
Any questions or comments, please send an eMail to Ross Beattie.
Ó 1st January 2000, Ross Beattie