A town and shire (population 1840 and 3845 respectively) in Wiradjhuri district of the New South Wales' Central Tablelands. Some of the town is in the Wollondilly shire. Originally called Bullocks Flat, Oberon was gazetted in 1863. Its major industries are grazing, vegetable farming and timber milling (chiefly of plantation pinus radiata) with tourism aided by trout fishing and the nearby Jenolan, Tuglow and Abercrombie Caves. A dam near the town on the Fish River Creek provides local recreation and, with a weir nearby on the Fish or Duckmaloi River, some of the water needed by downstream towns and towns on the Blue Mountains. The Fish River Creek joins the Fish or Duckmaloi near Duckmaloi, and flows on into the Macquarie River near Bathurst.
33 47.00 S, 149 55.00 E
33 54.00 S, 149 52.00 E
33 59.00 S, 150 08.00 E
You were Visitor Number since 12th October 1999
This Page was Last Updated on 12th October 1999
Any questions or comments, please send an eMail to Ross Beattie. Ó 7th March 1999, Ross Beattie