Armagh, Northern Ireland
32°20'S 140°37'E; alt. 190m (623)
Note: This page is still under construction
Tartaraghan (or Tartaringhan), ARM IRL
For a complete list of Townlands by Division see the PRONI Geographic Name Listing for the Parish of Tartaraghan.
For a map of the parishes within County Armagh see the page of the Ulster History Foundation.
Need to check Householders Index for Antrim.
- (translation: the Low Parish): in the barony of ONielland West about 3 miles north of Loughgall on the road from Lurgan to Dungannon. Comprises 11,612 acres, 2,122 of which are in Lough Neagh. It is chiefly agricultural, the soil being light and fertile. In the nineteenth century it included a lot of bogs and flax was grown for the local linen industry; that has now been replaced by very good apple orchards. The church was built in 1816 to replace one dating from 1712. EGLISH is one of the townlands in the parish.
[pers comm Leslie Pielou, Apr 1977].
- par., Ireland, N Co Armagh, bar. W ONeilland; 5m NW of Portadown - on Loch Neagh, 4m NE of Verner's Bridge; p.o., rly. stn. (GNIR), 9843ac, pop. 5300.
- Mitchell (Irish Churches and Graveyards, 1990) includes the following:
Parish Town or Townland Church
- (1844 Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland):
TARTARAGHAN, a parish 3.75 miles north-north-east of Loughgall, barony of West O'Neilland , co. Armagh, Ulster. It contains the villages of MAGHERY and MILLTOWN: which see. Length, northward , 6 miles , __inclusive of 2 miles in Lough Neagh; extreme breadth , 3.75 miles ; area , 11,612 acres , 35 perches ,__of which 1,917 acres , 2 roods, 34 perches are in Lough Neagh, and 204 acres , 3 roods, 21 perches are in small lakes. Pop., in 1831 , 6,321; in 1841, 7,313. Houses 1,291. Pop. of the rural districts, in 1841, 6,961. Houses 1,236. The surface is low and flat, consists, in general , of good lnd, and comprises the terminating part of the peninsula between the rivers Bann an Blackwater,__the former running 1.5 mile on the western boundary. Coney island in Lough Neagh belongs to Tartaraghan. Two lakes __ one of them Anagariff__lie in the western district of the parish. The principal hamlets are Derrycaveragh, Cranagill, Hunt's-Corner, Green-Island, and Crow-Hill; and the principal country residences are Mount-Hall, Rosemount-house, Clontylea-house, and Crow-Hill-house,__the two last the seats of E.Obrie, Esq.,and J.Atkinson, Esq. An ancient work , called St.Patrick's road, is said to run through Anagariff lake.
This parish is a rectory, and a separate benefice, in the dio. of Armagh. Tithe composition , 276 pounds 18 shillings and sixpence; glebe 50 pounds. Gross income 326 pounds 18 shillings and sixpence; nett 265 pounds 1 shilling and 4 pence halfpenny. Patron , successively the diocesan, the Earl of Charlemont, and Charles Brownlow, Esq. A curate receives a salery of 69 pounds 4 shillings and 8 pence , and has the use of the glebe-house and 10 acres of glebe land . The church was built in 1816, partly by means of a loan of 738 pounds 9 shillings and 2 pence farthing from the late Board of First Fruits, and partly by a sum of unrecorded amount raised by subscriprion. Sittings 450 ; attendance 430. A quondram Methodist meeting-house is also used as a parochial place of worship , and has an attendance of 160. The Presbyterian meeting-house has an attendance of 150 in summer , and 100 in winter. The Roman Catholic chapel has an attendance of 450 ; and , in the Roman Catholic parochial arrangement , is united to the chapel of Loughgall. In 1834, the prishioners consisted of 3,700 Churchmen, 359 Presbyterians, 11 other Protestant dissenters, and 2,100 Roman Catholics; 4 Sunday schools in the church and at Teague, Derryard, and Derrylard, were usually attended by about 515 scholars in summer, and 320 in winter; 2 parochials daily schools had on their books 39 boys and 16 girls; and 7 daily schools at Derrylea, Derryagh, Derrykenip, Derrycor, Derryard, Derrylard, and Teague, had on their books 239 boys and 140 girls. The parochial boys's school wa saleried with 8 pounds from the Society for Discountenancing Vice, 2 pounds from the rector, and 2 pounds from Mr.Obrie; the parochial girls school, with 4 pounds from the London Hibernian Society, and subscriptions from the rector and Mr.Obrie; the daily school at Derrylea, with 12 pounds 10 shillings and other advanatges from Col. Verner; that at Derrylard , with 8 pounds from subscriptions ; that at Teague , with an unreported sum from subscription; and that at Derryard with 7 pounds from the London Hibernian Society, and 5 pounds from Col. Verner. In 1834, a National School at Maghery was saleried with 12 pounds a-year from the Board , and had on its books 51 boys and 41 girls.
[per Randell Summerville, Mermaid Beach, Queensland, Australia, 11 April 1998]
- re Verners Bridge: [Claudia Gauss, San Diego, CA <email@example.com>, 03 April 1998]:-
located in County Armagh & crosses the Blackwater on it's way to Lough Neagh in the Townland of Upper Derryene. So far oldest VERNER is Jacob born about 1749, died 9 August 1827, Allegheny, PA; spouse unknown, had 13 children. Jacob's ancestors originally came from Musselburgh, Scotland from about 1332, then to Edinburgh in 1428, where a John VERNER was a burgess, then 1659 to Townland of Drumskea, Parish of Drummore, Barony of Lower Evagh, County Downs, Ireland. Then crossed the Irish Sea to Verner's Bridge Station. There is also mention of a the Verner mansion called "Churchill" which is 2 mi from this bridge.
- [Randell Summerville, of Mermaid Beach, Queensland, Australia <firstname.lastname@example.org> replied 10 April 1998]:-
(1844 Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland): CHARLEMONT, a quad sacre parish, containing a town of the same name, in the quad eivilaparish of Loughgall, and on the western border of the barony and county of Armagh, Ulster. Length, 3.5 miles ; breadth 2.5; area 3,156 acres. Pop., in 1831 , 3,480. The surface is generally low and flat , lies along the right bank of the Blackwater river, is traversed by the rod from Armagh to Dungannon, and about one-eighth of its extent of bog, and , over the greatest part of the remaining seven-eighths, of rich wheat-bearing land, greatly improved , and in good cultivation. This parish is a perpetual curacy, and a separate benefice , in the dio. of Armagh. Gross income , being salary paid by the rector of Loughgall, 70 pounds ; nett 50 pounds . Patron , the incumbent of Loughgall.
The church was built in 1832, by means of 300 pounds raised in various ways within the parish, and of 900 pounds gifted by the late Board of First Fruits. Sittings 350; attendance 250 to 400. two schoolhouses are also used alternately as parochial places of worship. and have an attendance of from 100 to 150; and the curate likewise officiates on every alternate Sabbath in the barrack. A Wesleyan chapel has an attendance of nearly 400. In 1834, the parishioners consisted of 1,538 Churchmen, 402 Presbyterians, 59 other Protestant dissenters, and 1,541 Roman Catholics; 3 Sabbath schools had on their books 128 boys and 148 girls; a daily school in the barrack, though intended chiefly for the children of the military, was attended by about 10 other children ; and 3 other daily schools __ one of which was aided with 20 pounds a-year from Mr. Parnell, one with 7 pounds 10 shillings , and a house from Col. Verner, and with 2 pounds or 3 pounds from the London Hibernian Society, one with 3 pounds 10 shillings from the rector, and with small gratitudes from the London Hibernian Society, and one with 8 pounds from the Association for Discountenancing Vice__ had on their books 172 boys and 130 girls.
You were Visitor Number since 12th October 1999
This Page was Last Updated on 12th October1999
Any questions or comments, please send an eMail to Ross Beattie. Ó 7th March 1999, Ross Beattie